Smart Grid and Utility Security and Operations
Security. Efficiency. Reliability. For nearly a decade Applied Communications Sciences has been enabling utilities to achieve these critical goals by providing advanced consulting, engineering and security services. This support has allowed utilities to design and deploy new network technologies, optimize their operations and properly secure them.
Today, utilities are faced with ever increasing cyber threats as advanced wireless technologies are deployed to automate distribution, substations and metering; and as information and operations technologies are increasingly integrated. In response, our Cyber Security Consulting Services are comprehensive and proven. From security planning through solution implementation our engineers focus on root problems operations. We assist in securing your network by taking a holistic view from both the bottom up and top down. Our Field Area Network wireless security analysis and operations visualization tools are unique solutions in the industry.
Utilities and a wide range of government agencies have benefited from our systems engineering and development support for network planning, design and management applications, converged networks and new technology introduction services. Our network architects and operations process design experts provide rigorous planning expertise that harnesses advanced technologies and processes to support emerging operations needs.
Recent examples of how Applied Communication Sciences is helping utilities solve their complex problems include:
- For a large, investor-owned electric utility: We provided a detailed security assessment of their cyber security posture including the effectiveness of their policies and architecture, operations processes, and governance structure. We assessed their information technology and operations technology infrastructures, and present method of operation to develop a baseline security posture for the client to build upon. Our experts then compared their posture against not only industry standards and current best practices but also “next practices” which will be needed to securely manage their accelerated smart grid evolution against a variety of emerging threats.
- For an investor-owned electric and gas utility with over 5 million customers: For over five years we have been providing this client security services such as third party IT and IP based network, firewall, web applications vulnerability assessment and penetration testing. We have also performed periodic security vulnerability assessments of their enterprise security and information assurance programs to help them improve their security posture against emerging threats and prepare them for new technology deployments and regulatory filings.
- For a Major Municipal Utility: We have delivered on-going third party IT and network vulnerability assessment and penetration testing for several years. Our experts have also been trusted to provide business impact analysis services to help the utility prioritize and adjust their organizational risk management and business continuity plans to strengthen their power system reliability and prepare for accelerated new technology deployments and pending critical infrastructure protection changes.
Our Utilities team is eager to work with you to assess, define and solve your most critical challenges as smart grid components proliferate into all aspects of energy and power environments.
- Network Design Services
- Network Management Solutions
- Network Operations Consulting
- Smart Grid