Since our beginnings as part of Bell Labs and then Bellcore and Telcordia Technologies, we’ve continually translated innovative thinking into business results for our customers. Along the way, we’ve shaped the industry with patented breakthroughs like ADSL, AIN, ATM, Frame Relay, LSI, MIME, SONET, WDM and Smart Grid Security. Regardless of where or how you communicate in the world today, chances are that you're touching technology invented or refined by Applied Communication Sciences.
Solving today’s problems
Our powerhouse teams are driven by excellence in research coupled with creative, cost-effective and most importantly, practical solutions to your business and technical problems.
Our teams have achieved worldwide recognition for many communication and information milestones. This allows a deep perspective and expertise which we bring to our engagements. Listed below are a few examples of some of our diverse research efforts:
- Provided advanced networking and network management solutions for the U.S. Department of Defense's (DoD) 10-year, $2 billion Transformational Satellite Communications (TSAT) Mission Operations System (TMOS) program.
- Enabled, through our DARPA-sponsored MONET project, the creation of the Wavelength Division Multiplexing (WDM) industry.
- Developed Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) over SONET protocol that was adopted as the international standard for broadband Integrated Services Network (ISDN), which became the leading transport technology for backbone networks.
- Development of Latent Semantic Indexing software technology that improves online searching performance of multilingual text documents by up to 30 percent.
- Creation of the world's most effective and comprehensive code coverage testing tools.
While Applied Communication Sciences continues to be a wellspring of inventions and innovations that change the industry as a whole, our main focus is on providing significant competitive advantages for our customers. Notable examples include:
- Providing break-through innovation to Toshiba America Research Incorporated (TARI) that enabled TARI's parent, Toshiba, to establish the foundation for the next generation of wireless IP and mobility products. TARI's collaboration with Applied Communication Sciences resulted in more than 110 new patent submissions.
- Developing a unique model and tool-based systems engineering approach for service management software for a major U.S. service provider. Leveraging our STRIDE tool-suite, this approach exploited UML and XML technologies, enabled formal specification of both interface message definitions and their business rules, provided rapid response to changes in customer requirements and automatically generated documentation. The service provider achieved notable improvements in software quality and cost savings in production support.
- Co-developing the most widely sold and most widely used UMTS digital event-driven simulation model in the world, enabling wireless companies worldwide to plan UMTS networks delivering voice and data services meeting known performance and build-out requirements while limiting capital investment
- Organizing and completing the world's largest field demonstration of ground tactical mobile ad hoc networks with quality of service and dynamic auto configuration capabilities
- Fielding a record-setting demonstration of multi-input, multi-output (MIMO) array signal processing for high data rate wireless communications - - achieving a ten-fold improvement in spectral efficiency over conventional commercial wireless systems
- Optimizing fixed and mobile wireless providers' network coverage with wireless planning software and dynamic reconfiguration software
- Designing and demonstrating an extensive software testbed for simulation of ad hoc mobile networks
Bring us your ideas and challenges and we'll find the right solution for you.
- Research Areas
- Wireless Systems and Technologies
- Mobile Networking & Security
- Broadband and Optical Networking
- Quantum Communications
- Adaptive Network Control and Management
- Information Analytics
- Products & Tools
- Industry Leadership